31. "With three-headed giants | thou shalt dwell ever,
Or never know a husband;
(Let longing grip thee, | let wasting waste thee,--)
Be like to the thistle | that in the loft
Was cast and there was crushed.
32. "I go to the wood, | and to the wet forest,
To win a magic wand;
. . . . .
. . . . .
I won a magic wand.
33. "Othin grows angry, | angered is the best of the gods,
Freyr shall be thy foe,
Most evil maid, | who the magic wrath
Of gods hast got for thyself.
34. "Give heed, frost-rulers, | hear it, giants.
Sons of Suttung,
And gods, ye too,
How I forbid | and how I ban
The meeting of men with the maid,
(The joy of men with the maid.)
35. "Hrimgrimnir is he, | the giant who shall have thee
In the depth by the doors of Hel;
To the frost-giants' halls | each day shalt thou fare,
Crawling and craving in vain,
(Crawling and having no hope.)
[31. The confusion noted as to the preceding stanza, and a metrical error in the third line, have led to various rearrangements and
emendations; line 3 certainly looks like an interpolation. Three-headed giants: concerning giants with numerous heads, cf. Vafthruthnismol,
33, and Hymiskvitha, 8.
32. No gap indicated in the manuscript; Niedner makes the line here given as 4 the first half of line 3, and fills out the stanza thus: "with
which I will tame you, / Maid, to work my will." The whole stanza seems to be either interpolated or out of place; it would fit better after
33. Jonsson marks this stanza as interpolated. The word translated most evil is another case of guesswork.
34. Most editors reject line 3 as spurious, and some also reject line 6. Lines 2 and 3 may have been expanded out of a single line running
approximately "Ye gods and Suttung's sons." Suttung: concerning this giant cf. Hovamol, 104 and note.
35. Most editors combine lines 1-2 with stanza 36 (either with the first two lines thereof or the whole stanza), as lines 3-5 stand in the
manuscript after line 2 of stanza 30. Hrimgrimnir ("The Frost-Shrouded"): a giant not elsewhere mentioned. Line 5, as a repetition of line
4, is probably a later addition.]
31. Međ ţursi ţríhöfđuđum ţú skalt ć nara,
eđa verlaus vera;
ţitt geđ grípi, ţik morn morni;
ver ţú sem ţistill, sá er var ţrunginn
í önn ofanverđa.
32. Til holts ek gekk ok til hrás viđar,
gambantein at geta, gambantein ek gat.
33. Reiđr er ţér Óđinn, reiđr er ţér Ásabragr,
ţik skal Freyr fíask, in firinilla mćr,
en ţú fengit hefr gambanreiđi gođa.
34. Heyri jötnar, heyri hrímţursar,
synir Suttungs, sjalfir ásliđar,
hvé ek fyrbýđ, hvé ek fyrirbanna
manna glaum mani, manna nyt mani.
35. Hrímgrímnir heitir ţurs, er ţik hafa skal
fyr nágrindr neđan;
ţar ţér vílmegir á viđarrótum
ćđri drykkju fá ţú aldregi,
mćr, af ţínum munum,
mćr, at mínum munum.