6. Thus was he there | for three nights long,
Then forward he went | on the midmost way,
And so nine months | were soon passed by.
7. A son bore Edda, | with water they sprinkled him,
With a cloth his hair | so black they covered;
Thrćll they named him, | . . . . .
8. The skin was wrinkled | and rough on his hands,
Knotted his knuckles, | . . . . .
Thick his fingers, | and ugly his face,
Twisted his back, | and big his heels.
9. He began to grow, | and to gain in strength,
Soon of his might | good use he made;
With bast he bound, | and burdens carried,
Home bore faggots | the whole day long.
10. One came to their home, | crooked her legs,
Stained were her feet, | and sunburned her arms,
Flat was her nose; | her name was Thir.
[6. The manuscript does not indicate that these lines form a separate stanza, and as only one line and a fragment of another are left of stanza 7, the
editions have grouped the lines in all sorts of ways, with, of course, various conjectures as to where lines may have been lost.
7. After line 1 the manuscript has only four words: "cloth," "black," "named," and "Thrćll." No gap is anywhere indicated. Editors have pieced out the
passage in various ways. Water, etc.: concerning the custom of sprinkling water on children, which long antedated the introduction of Christianity, cf.
Hovamol, 159 and note. Black: dark hair, among the blond Scandinavians, was the mark of a foreigner, hence of a slave. Thrćll: Thrall or Slave.
8. In the manuscript line 1 of stanza 9 stands before stanza 8, neither line being capitalized as the beginning of a stanza. I have followed Bugge's
rearrangement. The manuscript indicates no gap in line 2, but nearly all editors have assumed one, Grundtvig supplying "and rough his nails."
9. The manuscript marks line 2 as the beginning of a stanza.
10. A line may well have dropped out, but the manuscript is too uncertain as to the stanza-divisions to make any guess safe. Crooked: the word in the
original is obscure. Stained: literally, "water was on her soles." Thir: "Serving-Woman."]
6. Ţar var hann at ţat ţríar nćtr saman,
gekk hann meir at ţat miđrar brautar;
liđu meir at ţat mánuđr níu.
7. Jóđ ól Edda jósu vatni,
hörvi svartan, hétu Ţrćl.
8. Hann nam at vaxa ok vel dafna;
var ţar á höndum hrokkit skinn,
kropnir knúar, fingr digrir,
fúlligt andlit, lotr hryggr,
9. Nam han meir at ţat magns of kosta,
bast at binda, byrđar gerva;
bar hann heim at ţat hrís gerstan dag.
10. Ţar kom at garđi gengilbeina,
aurr var á iljum, armr sólbrunninn,
niđrbjúgt er nef, nefndisk Ţír.